Jan 5 2009 By Steve Still
Electrical fault causes alert
Staff from Dunnhumby were evacuated after a small explosion caused by an electrical fault.
Firefighters were alerted to the incident in Uxbridge Road, close to the Town Hall, which took place at around 12.30pm today.
Scores of workers had to leave their posts for around 45 minutes while emergency services made sure there was no further danger.
One employee said a small fire had broken out in one of the service rooms.
He added: "There was a big bang and there were lots of people running around."
Services were returning to normal at 1.30pm and electrical engineers were said to be at work inside the building.
Several other buildings, including the nearby police station and the Lido Centre, were plunged into darkness after the fault caused a short circuit.